Your Daily and Dependable Local Sports Source
Positively Promoting High School Athletics in Southeast Indiana

Boys Soccer Recaps from Tuesday, September 1

Boys Soccer Recaps- Tuesday, September 1

Shawe 1, Southwestern 1 (home)  (SW 1-0 at half)

Edited match report from Shawe coach Cameron Willoughby: Shawe and Southwestern tied 1-1 in Hanover. Southwestern got ahead just 13 minutes into the game. The Hillltoppers answered in the second half in the game’s 50th minute as Gage Dermon scored on a Christian Whitham assist. Both teams played end-to-end with shots for both sides, but neither was able to convert for the go-ahead goal.

Shawe reported stats: shots on goal 11, corners 2, saves 6.

Edited match report from Southwestern coach Seth Shields:  We knew this was going to be a close battle. Both teams were ready to play. This game seemed a little faster pace than some of the other games we have played this season. We have great speed on both ends. Shawe seemed to have the quickness factor as well and matched up well against us. We were able to take an early 1-0 lead at the 13th minute from a great leading through ball placed by Kaden Zellers to Brandon Smith who sprinted past the defense to play the ball as he collided with the Shawe goalkeeper. The ball squeezed past the keeper and rolled into the goal. Following that collision, Smith suffered a bruised shin and achilles. He managed to tough out the rest of the game but was not 100 percent. The game remained 1 to 0 at halftime.

It did not take long for Shawe to strike and score a goal of their own at the 50th minute off a breakdown on our defensive end. The Hilltoppers used speed to push past the defense and scored to tie the game 1-1. Opportunities by both teams to push ahead and to ultimately win were in grasp, but neither team could finish shots in front of the goal.  There was a great save towards the end of the game by center defender Salvador Hernandez who sacrificed his body to stop a shot that would have been the game winning goal by Shawe.

For this game, we allowed the fewest shots taken by the opposition which means we are getting better at controlling the midfield. Overall, our game play and intensity were where it needed to be. We played a little sloppy at times, mainly due to the speed of the game, but we continue to do smart things on the field that allow us to take early leads and to keep games close. In four of our five games, we have had the lead with no goals scored against us, but all have ended in ties. We are hopeful as a team that we can get over the hump and start finishing games with a couple more goals to win games.

Southwestern reported stats: 20 shots, 6 on goal; Brady McLain 4 keeper saves, Salvador Hernandez 1 defender save.

Southwestern Shelbyville 5, Greensburg 3 (home) (SW 4-2 at half)

Edited match report from Greensburg coach Cody DeVolld: Greensburg had its first home game of the season and fell to Southwestern, 5-3. Greensburg scored first with Grayson Newhart finding the back of the net in the game’s first five minutes. Southwestern quickly countered and scored three goals within the next 10 minutes.  Newhart scored his second goal of the game to bring the score to 3-2, but Southwestern put one more in before halftime, bringing the score to 4-2.

The second half saw a lot of great opportunities, but none scored until Newhart got his third goal off of a Luke Hellmich assist with under 10 minutes to play, bringing the score to 4-3. An unfortunate foul call in the box led to a penalty kick goal for Southwestern pushing the final score to 5-3.

Batesville 4 (home), South Dearborn 0 (BA 2-0 at half)

Edited match report from Batesville coach Kyle Hunteman: Batesville celebrated senior night against South Dearborn. Senior Chase Cummings invited his recruiter to the game and both teams held the flag across the center circle as we honored the playing of our National Anthem.

The match started out with all seven seniors in the lineup. The first goal came when sophomore Willy Sherwood had a breakaway down the left side. He shot the ball and it bounced off of multiple defenders, the post, and the keeper before it dropped into the goal. With one minute left in the half, JJ Kuisel dribbled down and crossed the ball to Eli Pierson who took a touch far post into the net.

The second half at 36:00, Ian Powers played a through ball to Kuisel who chipped it over the keeper. The final goal at 9:10 was delivered in a similar fashion between Powers and Kuisel.  The final was a 4-0 victory for the Bulldogs. After the varsity match, the seniors stepped out on the field and were honored with their senior rose.

(JV) Batesville 1 (home), South Dearborn 0

Edited JV match results from Batesville assistant coach Tyler Burcham: Following Senior Night, the Bulldogs played one half of JV and came out with their first win of the season. Batesville got on the board early.  A pass from Noah Pierson in front of the goal allowed Owen Powers to finish and take the 1-0 lead at the 29 minute mark.

Both teams battled and had opportunities to score, but that one goal was all it took to come out with a victory. Ethan Goodin provided multiple stops in goal for Batesville and came out with his second clean sheet in three games.

South Ripley 1, Switzerland County 1

Edited match report from South Ripley coach Nathan Hensley: It was a rough game which gave us plenty of chances we didn’t capitalize on. We left many chances unfinished. We did finish a good corner kick taken by Dillon Brinion and headed it in on the front post by Logan Betz.

We did a great job defensively limiting their quality chances.  Brycten Tingle had a good game in goal.  South Ripley reported stats: shots 10, shots on goal 7, saves by Tingle 6.

We thank everyone from each school who contributed to the recaps.

Powered by WordPress | T-Mobile Phones for Sale at | Thanks to Free Phones at, Free MMORPG Games and Fat burning furnace review